About Geert Somers
- Intellectual property
- IT, Internet and e-commerce
- Privacy and data protection
- Media and entertainment
- Market practices, unfair competition and consumer protection
Geert Somers specialises in intellectual property, e-commerce, ICT related contracts, media and entertainment, data protection, unfair competition and digital marketing. He works for clients in a number of sectors including Internet, technology, heavy industries, leisure, media, health care, training services, direct marketing and financial services.
He regularly drafts and negotiates international commercial agreements (including cloud, consultancy, information protection, license, outsourcing, distribution, and software development) and frequently advises clients on compliance and regulatory issues.
Geert also performed a number of projects on clients' premises and is therefore used to working directly with senior management and EMEA boards as well as marketing, compliance, sales and legal teams on multinational and local transactions.
Prior professional experience
Prior to founding time.lex, Geert was a senior associate at Lawfort in the TMT & IP department (2004-2007) and at Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer in the Commercial & Litigation department (2000-2004). He was an intern at DG Competition of the European Commission (1998-1999) and researcher at the Italian Constitutional Court (1999-2000).
- Master in intellectual property law, University of Brussels (2006)
- Master in EU law, Europa Institut Saarbrücken (1998)
- Law degree, University of Leuven (1996)
Admissions and Qualifications
- Member of the Brussels Bar, admitted to represent clients before all Belgian courts and the Court of Justice of the European Union.
- Chairman of the Legal Working Group of the Belgian Internet Service Providers Association (ISPA).
- Member of various professional organisations.
Academic Activities and Memberships
Geert was an affiliated researcher at the Interdisciplinary Centre for Law and ICT (www.icri.be) at the KU Leuven between 2004 and 2014.